Top 9 Cold Plunges of 2023: Where to Find the Best Chills
Are you looking for a way to improve your health and well-being? Cold plunges are a fantastic way to reset body and mind. Studies have shown that cold exposure can improve mental performance, reduce stress levels, and even help boost immune system function. Even short periods of cold exposure can cause a lasting increase in dopamine and a sustained increase in mood, energy, and focus. Check out more details in this episode of the Huberman Lab podcast.
I started taking cold showers when I was about four years old. I think it’s something of a family tradition, apparently passed down by my great-grandma. While a cold shower is a good solution, nothing compares to full immersion in icy water. I finally bought a cold plunge last year, and it’s definitely a game-changer. It’s almost as nice as a dip in a wintery Swedish lake (and yes, that’s me in the picture above).
Imagine jump-starting your morning with a cold water immersion-induced dopamine kick or a refreshing dip during a hot day.
In this guide, I ranked and reviewed 7 of the best cold plunges on the market, along with my top 3 choices depending on what features you care most about.
Table of Contents
What are the best cold plunges of 2023?
Below I review my favorite cold plunges on the market today. These ice baths have some key features in common that make them convenient and easy to use: water filtration and sanitization, as well as efficient cooling with good insulation. I do not include any plunge pools that are essentially a barrel you must fill with ice on your own as this is something you can replicate in your bathtub almost for free.
Renu Therapy – for the designer look
The Renu cold tubs feature an elegant yet super tough exterior with a wooden top that can be placed indoors and outdoors. The self-contained system chills water temperature down to 36°F (2.2°C) and includes advanced filtration systems and ozone purification to keep the water clean. It also comes in several sizes and color options.
- Temperature: Cools the water to 36°F (2.2°C)
- Size options: You can choose between the Cold Stoic standard (suitable for customers up to 6’5” and/or 255lb), the Cold Stoic 2.0 (up to 6’7” and/or 275lb), and the Siberian Cold Plunge, suitable for plungers 6’8” and/or 290lb and over.
- Base colors: Depending on the model, you can choose between five or six base colors.
- Wooden deck: The top wooden deck is also available in several alternatives. For a natural wood look, choose between the California Redwood and Pacific Cedar options that are treated with all-natural tung oil and wax. For a more artistic look, go for the Douglas Fir finished using the Shou Sugi Ban technique – a traditional decorative Japanese wood preservation technique through burning. The wood is torched and repeatedly scraped to create a more waterproof and weatherproof surface with an artistic look and exposed texture.
- Equipment enclosure: All the equipment is enclosed and out of sight, keeping it safe and ensuring an aesthetically pleasing experience. The enclosure additionally reduces noise pollution from the chilling system.
- Water sanitization: The plunge sanitizes the cold water using ozone technology and a filtering system.
- Insulated cover: All Renu plunges have an insulated cover that helps maintain cold temperatures and a matching step stool.
- Warranty: A 5-year limited warranty is included
- Shipping: Free shipping on all cold plunges
- Made in the US
The Cold Stoic starts at $9,699, and the larger Siberian Cold Plunge starts at $13,899. If you choose a deck finished using the Shou Sugi Ban technique, it’s $500 extra. A spa light can be added for $319.
The Renu Therapy ice bath is a piece of art that stands out among other cold plunge pools. I also like that the cooling mechanism is out of sight. This is my choice if you want to spend the extra money.
Morozko – For the (Literally) icy experience
One of the few ice baths that make their own ice – for practicing cold exposure polar bear style.
- Temperature: Brings down the water temperature all the way to 32°F (0°C)
- Cedar frame: Built with a cedar frame and finished using boat varnish.
- Size options: 60”, 66” and 72” tub lengths available
- Commercial option: You can choose between the Morozko Ice Bath and the Morozko Ice Bath Pro. The latter is suitable for commercial use.
- Warranty: The non-pro version has a 3-year warranty. The Pro version, intended for commercial use for spas, is built for high-volume use and has a 50% increased cooling power and a 5-year warranty. It also includes guaranteed service within 72 hours by Morozko technicians
- Water sanitization: Ozone disinfection and microfiltration
- Suitable for cold climates: Weather protection keeps the Morozko Ice Bath from freezing at temperatures low as 0°F (-17°C) for up to 12 hours when the filtration is running.
- International shipping options
The Morozko Ice Bath starts at $12,600 for the 60” version, $12,850 for the 66” inch tub, and $13,350 for the 72” tub. The commercial Morozko Ice Bath Pro costs $19,500, $19,700, or $19,900 depending on if you choose the 60”, 66”, or 72” version.
The Morozko ice bath is the perfect option for those who keep their ice plunge outdoors and live in cold climates and those looking for the added chill of cold therapy amidst floating ice.
Polar Monkeys The Portal – For the Budget-Friendly Option
This cold tub from Polar Monkeys is a no-nonsense ice bath with everything you need to immerse yourself in cold water without the glamorous features of some of the other ice baths. This simplicity is also reflected in the price.
- Temperature: Cools the water to 37°F (2.8°C)
- Finish: Available in black, silver, white, and black with a monkey print
- Size: Available in 48” and 60”.
- Insulated cover: Option to add insulated tub cover
- Cooling mechanism: 1/2HP water chiller can be upgraded to 1HP if used in a commercial setting
- Hot tub: Option to add a heating mechanism to turn the ice plunge into a hot tub
- App control: option to add a smart plug that allows you to control the cooling mechanism from your phone
- Warranty: 1-year warranty
The 48” version in a silver finish starts at $2,640. The insulated tub cover is an additional $349.
I am a big fan of the Polar Monkeys cold plunge pool. If you want to start practicing cold water exposure but don’t want to pay for “extras” such as a fancy wooden exterior and hidden cooling mechanism, this is the best ice bath for you.
Odin Ice Bath – for the Viking Barrel Experience
This handmade cedar ice bath on this list can reach temperatures as low as 32°F (0°C). It features a unique cooling mechanism in which the cooling compressor is connected to copper coils wrapped around the inner stainless steel tub walls.
- Temperature: Brings down the water temperature to 32°F (0°C) and can make its own ice.
- Sizes: Available in 3 sizes: dual – can accommodate two people plunging at once, original (up to 6’2”), and XL (over 6’2”)
- Water sanitization: Includes a filtration system with an ozone generator. A UV sanitization mechanism can be added.
- Insulation: Insulated lid included
- Warranty: 5-year limited warranty on cosmetic components, 3-year warranty on working components, including the cooling compressor, plumbing, and electrical.
- Shipping: DHL international air express shipping included. For orders within Australia, the ice tub comes fully assembled. International customers will need a refrigeration technician to gas the compressor before the first use.
- Commercial version: A pro version with a more powerful compressor suitable for commercial use is available.
Starts at $6,900 for the standard home version, and the XL version costs $8,900. Upgrading to a commercial compressor costs an additional $1,500.
This is a really cool (no pun intended) looking ice tub, and it’s nice that it’s self-contained and you don’t see the cooling mechanism. Note that the Odin ice bath should be placed without direct exposure to the elements.
The Plunge – For The Modern Look
The Cold Plunge ice bath has a sleek, modern design that is functional and visually appealing. This plug-and-plunge ice bathtub is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Temperature: Cools down to 39°F (3.9°C)
- Sizes: Available in 67” and 73” sizes
- Sanitization: Filtration and ozone sanitation
- Material: Fiberglass tub with an insulated metal base
- Insulation: Insulated at the base and also includes an insulated cover
- Illumination: Underwater light illuminates at night
- Hot plunge: can be upgraded to include a heating option.
- Refund: 30 days for a full refund
- Warranty: 1-year warranty, can be extended to 3 or 5 years. The extended warranty includes failure from normal wear and tear and defects after the manufacturer’s warranty expires
- The cold Plunge Pro is recommended if you live in a very hot climate
- Shipping: Free delivery to the contiguous 48 states
The standard version starts at $4,990, and the XL version starts at $6,990. The 3 and 5-year warranty upgrades cost $338 and $676, respectively.
This is a great option if you want a weather-resistant tub that can be used outdoors. The insulation on the underside of the tub ensures that you won’t have to deal with condensation should you choose to use it indoors.
Inergize – for the portable Ice bath
The Inergize Cold Plunge Tub is inflatable, weighs only 25lb, and fits in a duffel bag. The installation takes just 15 minutes.
- Temperature: Cools to 37°F (2.8°C)
- Easy setup: Quick-connect hoses, 15-min inflatable setup, dual action hand pump
- Size: 51” long and 30” deep, suitable for tall plungers
- Lightweight: Weighs only 25lb
- Accessories: This portable cold plunge comes with a duffle carry bag and a fabric top cover
- Sanitization: Water filtration and ozone
- App control: You can connect the chiller to your local WiFi network to control the temperature remotely.
- Warranty: 1-year warranty
- Free shipping
The Inergize cold plunge tup costs $5,190.
This is your option if you’re looking for an ice bath that you can bring with you when you travel.
The Dreampod Barrel – For the Small Footprint
Dreampod makes a barrel ice bath – the only one I could find with such a small footprint. This is ideal if you want to enjoy a regular freeze but don’t have the luxury of tons of space.
- Temperature: Cools to 37°F (2.8°C)
- App control: available through both iOS and Android apps
- Water sanitization: Unlike most other ice baths, it does not use ozone, but rather, a 10-micron filter, and UV light
- Customer support: available 24/7
They don’t list the prices on their website but say to contact them.
This is an interesting option if you’re tight on space, and it is suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
What is a cold plunge?
A good cold plunge maintains filtered and sanitized water between the temperatures of 32°F (0°C) and 39°F (3.9°C). Cold water immersion provides mental and physical benefits, such as reduced inflammation and increased blood circulation, which promotes relaxation, alleviates pain & anxiety, and enhances focus & cognitive abilities.
Summary – what is the best cold plunge of 2023?
Check out the table below for a summary of the best cold plunge options. I recommend considering a few things before buying one: will you have it indoors or outdoors? If you plan to have your cold plunge outdoors and live in a climate where temperatures fall below freezing in the winter, you may want a plunge with good insulation to withstand cold temperatures without the pump mechanism freezing. Otherwise, you may have to disconnect it and empty the hoses or add hot water to it regularly. If you plan to have it indoors, either make sure you can place it on a waterproof floor or buy a cold plunge that does not condensate.
Best Budget: Polar Monkeys The Portal
– Minimum temperature 37°F (2.8°C)
– Available in black, silver, white, and black with a monkey print
– Two size options
– Add-ons available
– 1-year warranty
Best Designer: Renu therapy
– Minimum temperature 36°F (2.2°C)
– Choice of baser colors and wooden deck finishes
– Fully enclosed equipment
– Ozone purification
– 5-year warranty
For Cold Climates: The Morozko Forge
– Minimum temperature 32°F (0°C)
– Cedar exterior with boat varnish
– Makes its own ice
– Suitable for keeping outdoors in cold climates
– 3-year warranty